Background

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Daddy Daycare

I've never blogged before in my life until this trip and probably will revert back to my low tech ways after I get home. But Cary insists I contribute to her daily diary and like most good husbands I nod and say yes dear. I do feel a man's perspective is needed and thus allows me to keep face with most of my couch potato pals who probably have never blogged either.

Cary opted to take a little field trip yesterday with some of the other moms and left Leah with ole dad for the day. Of course I had to pass the diaper changing 101 test before she felt comfortable in handing me the keys to our 0-60 China Doll. I plan to spend considerable time with Leah during my rotations at home and there's no time like the present to try this plan out. All in all the day went great, Leah blessed me with only one true baby bomb and two one hour plus naps. The baby bomb probably could have been lessened by not feeding her prunes and apples the day before, but that's how we roll as newbie parents and trying to get regular. Cary said it would be all right and I believed her. The two naps were wonderful, but we had to play hard to make them happen. Leah's laughs and smiles kept me going the entire day though. I admit I was more excited to hear the door open than Leah was. Cary came in and played the rest of the evening trying to make up time, but it was too late. She's daddy's girl and mom just works hard to bring home the bacon so Leah and I can fry it up in the pan. All joking aside it's amazing how well Leah has accepted both of us equally, she is the blessing we both prayed for and no one can dispute we're all getting along great.

All the dads are missing their football and Midnight Madness, but wouldn't trade the fun we've had the last week or so for anything. One of the dad's lives in Atlanta and cheers for the Bulldogs and another graduated from South Carolina, the SEC is supported well in this travel party. Every evening we all meet in the hallway and let the babies play with each other, dads on one side and moms on the other. Definitely a great way to end each day before the last bottle and diaper change.

Our rooms here are very nice, but the Chinese people cater more to the women's point of view. The hotel furnishes each room with new robes and slippers every day if they've been used, what a girly thing to do? Fortunately my laid back underwear policy has kept my robe intact, I call it my little way of going Green by not wasting water and adding harsh detergents to the environment. Our bed is so hard it rivals the marble floor in the bath room, but it looks killer when when the feather down comforter is laid over it. That's feather down with no sheet. The comforter goes hand in hand with Cary's last command every night, "Do you think it's too cold in here for the baby, go turn the heat up".

I want to think everyone again for their prayers and thoughts for us the last couple weeks. Dave

2 comments:

myra said...

Dave, you rock! I think you're headed for Daddy Hall of Fame and your blogging is pretty good too! Keep up the good work, "Ole Dad"! I love reading your posts!

Charity, Katie, Louie & Natalie said...

Great post Dave! It's fun to hear about adoption from the Dad's perspective. I hope you become a regular guest blogger.